American Culture Program students learn not just through books and articles but through travel and other immersive learning experiences. This includes several weekend and day trips, as well as an extended week-long trip. These trips are all free for students.
For 2022-2024, American Culture Program students will travel to Nashville and Memphis where we’ll learn about how music and labor activism have contributed to the long and ongoing struggle for racial and economic justice. Some of the sites we might visit include:
- The National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel
- Highlander Research and Education Center
- Stax Records
- Grand Ole Opry
- National Museum of African American Music
- B.B. King’s Blues Club
- Poplar & Highland Starbucks
- Nashville’s Woolworth
- Smokies Stadium
- Volkswagen Chattanooga Assembly Plant
Do you have a suggestion about where else we should go? Leave a comment!